With a light batter and a nutritious filling, our drop pancakes recipes are an any-time supper – not just for Pancake Day!
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 175ml skimmed milk
- 150g self-raising flour
- Sunflower oil spray
- 150ml low-fat crème fraîche
- 3tbsp creamed horseradish
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 250g smoked salmon, torn
- Small bunch fresh chives, snipped, to garnish
- Whisk the egg whites until they’re thick and hold soft peaks.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk with 2tbsp water and whisk together with the flour and egg yolks until smooth. Gently whisk in the egg whites.
- Heat a 20cm frying pan over a medium heat, spray with a little sunflower spray and add batter to the pan in 2tbsp dollops – you should be able to fit three pancakes into the pan at a time, spacing them a few centimetres apart. Cook for 1–1½ min, until the surface is bubbly and the underside is golden. Turn over and cook for up to 1 further min, until golden. Transfer to a plate, cover with a thick tea towel to keep warm, then repeat with the remaining mixture, to make 18 pancakes.
- Combine the crème fraîche, horseradish and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Serve three pancakes per person. Drape with the salmon, top with the horseradish cream and garnish with the snipped chives.